Our specialist Diabetes service - The Beta Cell Diabetes Centre has been the first team to move into the Hospital’s new outpatient department.
Patients attending the Beta Cell Diabetes Centre are now able to benefit from the ‘airport style’ design of the new outpatient department. Easy appointment check-in via the self service kiosks, a pleasant family friendly waiting area and coffee shop have been incorporated to reduce the stress of attending an outpatient appointment.
Patients will also continue to benefit from the Beta Cell Diabetes Centre approach to locating its team in a single area. Patients are able to see their consultant physician, specialist nurse, podiatrist and diabetes dietitian in a single visit without having to leave the centre. This ensures every patient receives truly multi-disciplinary care. Feedback tells us that this is convenient for the patient and reduces follow-up appointments.
The Beta Cell Diabetes Centre also provides support for its patients through education programmes held in the dedicated teaching rooms in the Out Patients Department.
Patients, GPs and Practice Nurses can access telephone support and clinical advice via our hotline. Calls are answered by a specialist nurse between the hours of 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. The nurse will be able to offer advice and triage on any aspect of diabetes care.
If required one of our Consultants can phone you back and if appropriate arrange for patients to attend an emergency appointment within 24 hours.
The advice we provide is communicated back to the surgery with a copy of the consultation notes being faxed to your practice. This ensures that all clinicians involved in the patients care are up to date.
Diabetes hotline number: 020 3315 8132
Patients can also find this number in their Diabetes Diary and on their Diabetic Card issued to them when they attend the Beta Cell Unit.
Specialist Diabetes Services based at the Hospital
- Problem solving clinics
- polypharmacy clinic
- effective treat to target
- complex type 1 DM or type 2 DM
- Insulin pump clinic
- BP/nephropathy clinic
- Liaison Psychiatry-diabetes clinic
- HIV-viral diabetes clinic
- High risk foot/neuropathy service
- Cystic Fibrosis-diabetes clinic
- Adolescent transition clinic
- Food-insulin calibration workshops- DAFNE programme
- New and update patient education
Diagnostic Diabetes Services based at the Hospital
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGMS)
- Ambulatory BP Monitoring
Diabetes Education for health care professionals
- PCT foundation course
- MSc in diabetes
- Diabetes Retinopathy screeners training module
The clinical specialist diabetes Team
- Dr Michael Feher Consultant in Diabetes & Clinical Pharmacology
- Dr Daniel Morganstein Consultant in Diabetes and Endocrinology
- Dr Kevin Shotliff Consultant in Diabetes and Endocrinology
- Dr Alison Wren Consultant in Diabetes and Endocrinology
- Dr Neil Munroe Associate Specialist
- Dr Ken Watters Senior Medical fellow
- Debra Lake Diabetes Specialist Nurse Consultant
- Miranda Greg Chief Diabetes Dietician
- Nicole Rich Specialist Diabetes Podiatrist
For more information on our Specialist Diabetes Services visit our website.
- W: Choose and Book
- E: Chelwest.firstname.lastname@example.org